Hello and Welcome

I am desperately trying to pay off my debt while learning to better manage my money. Please share your advice, tips and stories. I need all the help i can get!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

H. E. L. P

Finally the check came in the mail today! Yeah. $4,500 to be exact. Rent can be paid…only officially 5 days late. I don’t think we have ever paid rent late in our lives. I have bills coming out of my ears. I hate checking the mail…who doesn’t want something from me? Comcast? Medical Bill? Student loan, take a number please.  Where do you start? Do you pay a little bit on each bill you have (We make good money, But we have way more bills), or do you pay of the small stuff first? Or maybe you pay off the big stuff or what you can and put the small stuff on the back burner? 

 Where I live they have a coupon magazine called “The Clipper”. I have always thrown it away. I have always wanted to cut coupons, but it truly does seem like an overwhelming job. Today when the clipper came in the mail, I actually looked at it. A couple of things I clipped out. Like one had a free dental exam for a child under 3. My son could use that for sure! The rest though were for eateries and bounce houses…which we won’t be going to.
I need to look at all the bills and get things in order. Even thinking about it I shudder. Usually it causes arguments with my husband and I, and tears, of course on my part, then the blame game takes place. We make a bunch of goals that we never follow through on. Then we make a budget that we never follow and never look at again.
Where should I start? I have absolutely no idea. Do I just start lugging through all the tons of mail covering the desk? Or make a budget first? Help…I am drowning in debt!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would pay off things with low balances, or really high interest first. If you can pay off something quickly it will give you more motivation. If the amounts owed are all similar, start with high interest ones first. You may also want to contact your collectors and see if you can work out a payment plan that is more affordable, many will work with you. Hang in there, and be diligent with budgeting, you will get through it.